My OpenGL Tutorials:
OpenGL is a low-level, widely supported modeling and rendering software package, available on all platforms (Windows, Linux, UNIX, etc.). It can be used in a range of graphics applications, such as 3D CAD, Modeling, Games, etc. It was originally developed in 1992 by Silicon Graphics, Inc. It is a collection of several hundred functions that provide access to all of the features that your graphics hardware has to offer. In other words, it provides simple subroutines; we do not need to write long code for various programming functions. We only use its built-in functions in order to do our task. For example, if we want to draw a cube, we just need to write glutSolidCube(double size).
For newbies, they can simply call it a programming language (but its not). We can found OpenGL in everywhere such as, virtual simulations, 3D CAD/CAM Softwares, Mechanical, Electrical, Computer, Civil, Chemical, Architecture, etc. Engineering applications.
When I heard about OpenGL in 2007, I tried Google, but the interesting thing is, I couldn't find its installation process for 1-2 months. So, I spent 1-2 months just for its installation, oh my!!!!. I didn't realize it that time because there were not so many tutorials on the internet. If you could find one tutorial, then still you had to spent 1 day just to understand what the tutor want to say, poor newbies right? ;-). That’s the reason I decided to write my first tutorial about "How to Install OpenGL". You know what! There is not any installation process for OpenGL :-o. It just has some *.dll, *.lib, *.h files nothing else. We just need to put those specific files at right locations if we want to compile our first code. That’s it.
1. How to install OpenGL? or Installation guide for OpenGL? or How can I compile my first OpenGL program using MS Visual Studio 2005, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012?
(Last updated: June 18, 2012)
2. Render a animation in OpenGL? or How to animate an object in OpenGL? or Real-time animation of an object in OpenGL etc?
(Last updated: June 19, 2012)
3. Render a Triangular Model in OpenGL? or how to use glBegin(GL_TRIANGLES) in OpenGL? or How to use "for loop" for rendering a big triangular model? or How to make a data structure for 3D model rendering? or How to use a header file?
(Last updated: June 23, 2012)
Some Recommended OpenGL Books:
- The Red Book "OpenGL Programming Guide" (free online available, must read for beginers.) or Second Link
- OpenGL SuperBible 1st to 5th Edition (for game programmers, professionals, developers, beginners etc.)
- Advanced Graphics Programming Using OpenGL (The Morgan Kaufmann Series in CG)
- Opengl Programming Guide: The Official Guide to Learning Opengl
- An Interactive Introduction To Opengl Programming (Nice PPT)
- 3D Computer Graphics: A Mathematical Introduction with OpenGL
- OpenGL Shading Language, 3/E
- Graphic Gems Package: Graphics Gems III
- Beginning OpenGL Game Programming
- All about Vertex Buffer Object (VBO)